Recipe for a successful Satellite EventView the Satellite Event Directory and Map
As organizers of the largest science festival in the United States, we are committed to sharing best practices with STEM event organizers around the world. Each event is unique, but most events have a lot in common: hands-on science and engineering activities that make kids and students curious about the wonders of science, technology and innovation, interactions with scientists and engineers who are leaders in their field, and community involvement. Here are some suggestions how to get started:
- Figure out what you want to do (for example: a one-day Expo with hands-in science activities, a Science Scavenger Hunt, a Star Gazing Party, a Lecture or Workshop, Lunch with a Scientist etc.)
- Find a location/venue
- If you would like to host a Satellite Event, your date(s) should be some time in April 2014, ideally the same weekend as the USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo: April 26-27, 2014.
- Invite local organizations, schools, colleges and universities, and scientists and engineers to participate by putting on fun, hands-on, interactive science activities for children (we typically provide a 10x10 festival tent to each organization, but depending on your location and the number of exhibitors you might be able to make the space bigger, or not need tents at all)
- Ask each participating organization to provide you with a catchy title and short description of their activity so you can add it to your website
- Market your event to the local community by:
- asking participating organizations to spread the word to their communities through their e-newsletters and websites
- asking local school districts and universities and colleges to help you spread the word to their student body
- sending out a press release to local media mentioning that you are part of the USA Science & Engineering Festival
- sending out email announcements
- listing your event on local online community calendars
- adding your event to our online directory and map
- It’s fun to organize!
- Get people in your community excited about science and engineering!
- Be part of the biggest celebration of science & engineering in the World!
- Get media coverage in your community by linking your activity to the USA Science & Engineering Festival.
- Increase awareness of your organization by having your event listed on the USA Science & Engineering Festival website.
Our promise to you:
- We will list your event information in our online directory and map so people can find you
- We will announce the Satellite Events in our newsletters with a link to the listings on our site
- We will provide USA Science & Engineering Festival graphics for you to download from our website so you can use them in your own marketing materials
- We will host conference calls with Satellite Event organizers to answer questions and share best practices
- You will organize the Satellite Event or science festival in your community
- Your event must be free of charge for attendees
- You will provide a post-event report through an online form we will provide, so we can track how many people participated in the USA Science & Engineering Festival nationwide